CRAIG THATCHER BIO
He has worked with and/or opened for many great artists including: Simone, Buddy Guy, Derek Trucks, John Mayall, Jimmie Vaughan, Duke Robillard, John Hammond, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Jonny Lang, Vanilla Fudge, Charlie Musselwhite, Train, Robin Trower, Dicky Betts, Savoy Brown, Jorma Kaukonen, Marty Stuart b& the Superlatives, Roseanne Cash, Roger McGuinn, Rory Block, Woody Mann, Peter Rowan, Herman's Hermits, Spencer Davis Group, Laurence Juber, John Mayer, David Bromberg, Steve Miller, Bill Kirchen, GE Smith and many other international artists.
Craig began playing guitar in 1964, after seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. By 1966 he was in his first band and by 1968, the band started getting paid for performances. Though Craig's early influences were Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Animals, Herman's Hermits, the Yardbirds and many other pop acts, once he heard Eric Clapton and then, Jimi Hendrix, his focus changed to a much heavier rock style of lead guitar, based in the blues. CTB's music spans many musical genres including folk, funk/jazz, blues and rock. Craig also has become a strong solo acoustic guitarist, focusing primarily on fingerstyle country blues. Craig has performed in one capacity or another—often as a Martin Guitar Artist/Clinician — in nearly every U.S. State as well as over 35 different countries.
Theatres, Local/regional Performing Arts venues & Festivals where Craig and his band appear on a regular basis include:
- The Sellersville Theatre — Sellersville, PA
- ArtsQuest /Musikfest/Muiskfest Cafe — Bethlehem, PA (have been performing at Musikfest for the past 27 years as of 2018)
- Mauch Chunk Opera House — Jim Thorpe PA
- State Theatre — Easton PA
- Kirby Center for the Arts — Wilkes Barre, PA
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art — NYC
- Museum of the City Of New York — NYC
- Joes Cafe — NYC
- The Apollo Theatre — NYC
- Luce Auditorium — San Diego, CA,
- House Of Blues — Atlantic City, NJ
- Berks Jazzfest — Reading, PA
- Zoellner Center for the Arts — Bethlehem, PA
- Penn's Peak — Jim Thorpe, PA
Craig is also the originator and host of the PBS television series, “Behind The Guitar”, where he presents and interviews internationally known guitarists in front of a live audiences in the WLVT Channel 39 PBS studios.
- Chico Huff, bass
- Billy Wear, drums/percussion
- Cliff Starkey, keyboards/vocals
- and Craig on guitar/vocal